Our Montessori Programs
Are you looking for a Montessori preschool or kindergarten program for your child in Guelph? The Montessori School of Wellington is the only CCMA-accredited Montessori school in the Guelph area.
Requirements for Our Montessori Program
When considering if your child is ready for our preschool program, you should ask yourself the following questions:
- Can my child use the toilet independently most of the time?
- Does my child have a beginning ability to manipulate clothing and dress him/herself?
- Can my child feed him/herself at meal times?
We find that children require a certain level of independence to be comfortable in a Montessori education program. Even if your child meets the minimum age requirements, they should be able to manage the above tasks before joining our preschool program.
Montessori Preschool & Kindergarten Program
Our Montessori programs for preschool and kindergarten-age children focus on the seven traditional areas of learning. Every classroom is fully equipped with Montessori materials for these different areas, including:
- Language — Children are immediately introduced to reading and writing in our school. We use a phonetic system to help children sound out words and a range of materials and exercises to start practice writing letters.
- Mathematics — Students will use concrete materials to understand basic mathematical concepts, such as numbers, symbols, operations, decimals, algebra, geometry, fractions, and more. We allow children to move at their own pace through math-related exercises.
- Practical Life — These child-sized materials are designed to help our students understand simple day-to-day adult activities, such as dressing, washing, cleaning, and so on. This allows students to acquire life skills and learn how to care for themselves.
- Sensorial — Sensorial materials help students to understand abstract concepts, such as length, volume, depth, etc., using concrete materials that children can manipulate in isolation.
- Culture — Cultural materials allow students to explore geography and the different peoples of the world through maps, puzzles, flags, land and water forms, and more.
- Art & Music — Art and music are integrated into our daily classroom activities with drawing and painting, singing, listening to music, and dance.
- French — We teach our students French in an informal, conversational way. Vocabulary and grammar is introduced through various material and daily activities, including music, movement, storytelling, and general conversation.
About Our Montessori School
Founded in 1996, The Montessori School of Wellington is located at 2 Samuel Drive, Guelph, in a beautiful residential neighbourhood.
In each of our classrooms, we have a trained Montessori teacher, a Montessori-trained assistant and/or French teacher, each with their own responsibilities. Our teachers are either A.M.I. (Association Montessori Internationale) or MACTE (Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education) accredited.
In addition, most of our teachers hold diplomas in Early Childhood Education and are members of the College of Early Childhood Educators. Each class includes no more than 24 children and maintains a ratio of 1:8 teachers to students.